9.19.2008

Painting... oh the joys...

Trent & I have spent much time over the last couple months painting our house.When we first moved in, all the walls were white and boring. Now, after a short two months, we are basically wrapping up the painting party. People say hindsight is 20/20... and using it, I think it would be worth it to pay a professional to paint. It's a ton of work! We used three colors in our house. The majority of it is a taupe color and then a lighter taupe. Our loft upstairs is dark "brick red". The contrast looks good.

To assist in our painting project, we purchased a paint sprayer. Many people told us it would be impossible to spray our house since it is fully finished with carpet. For the bedrooms, we taped and covered everything with plastic. Our taping job proved sufficient and my preference would have been to spray as much as possible. Although the precise taping takes A LOT of time... the spraying is fast and the paint coats very evenly. We had to make sure not to stay in the rooms too long though for fear of passing out. I have no doubt I killed many brain cells sucking in the paint fumes. The final "major" piece in our painting pursuit was our garage. Trent put up some really nice shelves to help organize everything and then we sprayed the entire thing white. Had we not owned a paint sprayer, painting the garage would have been out of the question. With the sprayer it was easy to coat the ceiling as well as all the high and low places.

That's not to say we sprayed our entire house. We actually rolled quite a bit. Our downstairs was all painted by hand. My mom came over one Saturday and helped me paint the kitchen. Trent & I spent a lot of S
aturdays laboring, with the noise from college football games sounding in the background. Any time a good play was developing in the game, I would stop my painting and hustle towards the couch to see the outcome. I'm finding that I don't really need to see a game in order to visualize exactly what's taking place in my mind. I guess that comes with extreme familiarity to sports. Some people might argue my familiarity is too extreme. One thing that is not very extreme is my painting talent. We still have a little touch-up work to do but overall, a lengthy job well done.

Trent - Spraying the garage

Amanda's Turn...

Rolling the downstairs

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

whew! glad you're painting project is done! now you can actually enjoy your house :P

Heather H said...

Go you guys, we have been here almost three years now and still have many white walls, you want to come paint our house? :)

Nicole said...

dude, I can't even tell you how much I want to paint some walls of my own. Consider yourself lucky... :)

Katie said...

Looks like a lot of work. When do we get to see pictures of your house - inside and out? You guys are awesome!

-K