9.24.2008

Fishing for Food!

Last Saturday after going to the BYU - Wyoming game, Trent decided he was sick of watching football for the day. I can never get sick of it, so I sat on the couch and watched a couple of the late games. Meanwhile, Trent decided to go fishing. We live quite close to the Jordan River so Trent took the new fishing pole I bought ($17 at Walmart) and went to the river. He was only gone about 10 or 15 minutes.

I was surprised he came back as early as he did. When I looked towards the kitchen where he was walking in, I noticed he actually caught a fish! It wasn't a very big one but he brought it home as his trophy regardless. Later, he told me the fish swallowed the hook and he wasn't able to get the hook out so he decided to kill the fish. I won't be too graphic in the details... let me just say, he used a rock. I think a part of him felt bad for potentially killing and wasting the fish so he decided to try and cook it for some yummy eating.

He gutted it (with much trial) right in our kitchen sink. I was dry heaving part of the time but kept wanting to get pictures of it. I won't post any of the gross ones because I don't want anyone to get sick from reading this. Trent really struggled getting the scales and skin off the fish. This was disappointing because of the "high quality" Ronco fileting knife he was using.

(This is totally unrelated to the story but several months back I got sucked into an infomercial -- it only took five minutes of watching -- then I called and bought Ronco knives. They are not all they are cracked up to be. They sounded so good on the infomercial!)

Since he couldn't get the skin off, he cut it into chunks and cooked it on the grill. He didn't use any spices or flavoring element at all. Disgusting. I give him props because he actually tried eating it. I don't think he liked it though as he threw the majority of it away. Yay for fishing!

Trent seems pretty proud of his catch!


The head looks dirty and disgusting because of the rock.


The finished product. Are you hungry?

2 comments:

Kevin & Rhiannon said...

I was hoping for some more gruesome pictures. :) Anyway, Kevin seriously could watch football all day. He never gets sick of it. I love how it's you and not Trent that is like that. It makes me smile.

Unknown said...

Seriously...where are the gruesome pictures? Nice catch...very manly and brave of you. I do not think I would eat anything out of that river.